Let’s get back to basics. No matter your hair type, hair care essentials apply to everyone. Cleanse, condition, and protect. Period! It is just easy to remember, and absolutely essential, for looking after curls worth celebrating. But we get it. The world of curly hair can be confusing and overwhelming. Your natural tresses may require different TLC than most, but if you learn the fundamentals of your hair type, we can help you build a healthy routine, you can actually stick to, giving you the chance to celebrate your luscious coils with little effort.
Hair is as diverse – just like people are diverse – we are made up of the same materials but are extremely unique all at the same time. Knowing the thickness, porosity, elasticity, density, curl pattern and characteristics of your hair is extremely valuable to learn (especially for stylists). But if you’re not sure, we can show you how to simplify your curl maintenance and get your life back at the same time. For the COILY hair crew, there can be a variety of coily S or O shaped curls that commonly result in a wavy to coil-spring finish.
Let’s break it down:
- Fine (strand thickness): Avoid limp, over greasy and heavily weighted locks, by using high-quality water-based light curling creams or lotions.
- Medium (strand thickness): The preference here is to go for gels or creams, slightly heavier than your lightest option.
- Thick (strand thickness): Adopting slightly heavier products or combinations will have your hair thanking you for it!
What’s the Coily hair’s personality?.. we hear you ask…
- The more coily the hair, the more difficulty you may experience with detangling unless done properly.
- When wet, coils can appear more defined and consequently tend to be easier to manage and handle, if a conditioner is used.
- Post-morning wash, you might find your hair started one size and doubled by lunchtime. Who knows how big it will be by dinner!
- Tends to appear raised when it comes out of the scalp, growing upwards rather than lying flat.
- The size of the curl is easy to manipulate depending on the technique used.
- Due to the twists and turns of the curls, it doesn’t tend to reflect as much shine compared to other hair types. However, this is not a reflection of the moisture levels, a common mistake made.
- Easily holds styles when braiding or twisting.
- When the hair is wet it still appears curly, although the curls are optimally hydrated and the definition is top-notch.
And how should you be treating those coils?
- Remember our first rule? The finer the hair, the lighter the product you should be using.
- The product should be smoothed down when applied.
- Depending on your style, you may scrunch your curls in an upward motion towards your scalp to help protect and define your curl and avoid the frizzy look, we all dread. But once set – avoid too much hand manipulation in your hair period.
- Coils do tend to dry out slightly quicker than most other hair types if it’s not protected with the correct products.
- The detangling process is essential to get down! Done incorrectly, it can leave your curls damaged.
- It’s essential the above techniques are combined with products specifically designed for your hair with the best quality ingredients. Using too much product will lead to your hair becoming heavy and losing its shape. Using the wrong product will cause flakes to sit and drip from your curls – and nobody’s got time for that!
Getting the best for your COILY hair
To be sure if your COILY, waves, or fro is getting the correct attention, why not take our quiz to discover your personalised, super easy to implement, quality care routine to take back control of your curls.
BUT if you’ve got your healthy hair regime on lock, take a look at our award-winning products specifically designed and formulated with the curly girl in mind.